Monday, September 30, 2013

From NY to OH: My Experience So Far



Greetings Readers,
First off let me introduce myself: my name Kyle Fassett and I am a first-year College Student Personnel master’s student at BGSU. I currently live on campus as a Greek House Director, while my internship is in Pre-Major Advising. I am from Saratoga Springs, New York and I did my undergraduate at SUNY New Paltz studying Theatre Design. Now that the formalities are over, let me tell you how I can B-me at BG, with the first few months of my experiences. 

As a former design major I am very big on visual/active learning, and personally I have been surprised that the coursework has allowed me to excel in class, especially in my Foundations and Functions of College Student Personnel. We have the typical readings and PowerPoints, but also mini peer presentations/activities on various topics at the beginning of each class, which are engaging. Additionally, we have a semester-long group project and papers that actively get us involved in our campus’s realm of student affairs.
Schoolwork aside, I am firm believer that in order to give a 100% to classes, work, and friends, you have to first make sure that you are at a 100%. With that, I have been fortunate to take of advantage of many therapeutic opportunities.

Morale Therapy: Only living here for such a short time, I already feel like a full fledge falcon! Everyone in my cohort and the 2nd year cohort has been extremely open and welcoming through the transition of moving to the mid-west. I experienced my first home football game, donning BG apparel and learned our fight song. (We won incase you were wondering!)

Physical Therapy: A few of my cohort members and I managed our time to train for and run a half-marathon! And if you’re not from around the mid-west like me, the flat roads of Ohio make for some fast running; we all ran our personal best times! I am now training for a full marathon at the end of October!

Scream Therapy: I went to Cedar Point (about an hour away) for the day with some friends to enjoy the fall weather and relax; it was also a great way to scream out some stress! (Not to mention we received a great deal with discount tickets through the bookstore).

Food Therapy: This is probably the most important for me. Eating healthy helps my body and mind function more efficiently! However, this is not to say ice cream or froyo every now and then won’t kill you because I’m all about Pinkberry, which is on campus!

While the time constraints of school and work may be difficult to manage, I have been enjoying BG and being Me.
Roll Along,
Kyle

0 comments:

Post a Comment