Monday, September 30, 2013

Becoming a Falcon: My Experiences So Far


Hello readers! My name is Michaelangelo Misseri and I’m a First Year College Student Personnel Graduate Student. Originally, I’m from Brooklyn, NY and just completed a Bachelors of Arts with Honors in English and a Bachelors of Science in Human Development at Binghamton University last May. My internship is with the Office of Residence Life, for which I’m the Graduate Hall Director for Kreischer: Ashley/Batchelder, a mostly first-year residence hall on campus. I can tell you one thing about that: there’s never a dull moment in my building with about 660 residents and 22 RAs!



I’ve been at BGSU a little longer than most of my cohort, having moved out to Ohio with everything that fit in my Jeep mid-July for Graduate Hall Director Training and to prepare the buildings for the RAs’ arrival and move-in day. I was nervous about moving to Ohio, especially since it’s a little different than New York City, but I’ve had such a great time at BGSU! Homecoming, Family Weekend, football games, and hockey games have kept me busy on the weekends. BGSU’s location is really convenient for weekend trips, which I have taken advantage of since being here! So far, I’ve visited Columbus, Cleveland, and Ann Arbor. The Black Swamp Arts Festival that happens annually on Main Street in downtown Bowling Green made for a great weekend, too!


After about a month of training, I was looking forward to classes starting (weird, right?). Something that really drew me to the BGSU CSP Program was the well-known, accomplished faculty and the rigorous classes they teach. I mean, who wouldn’t love to sing their way through the various student development theories with Carney Strange? Additionally, Foundations and Functions of College Student Personnel, one of the required classes of the program, has already taught me so much about the history of the student affairs profession.

Both the 1st and 2nd year CSP cohorts are filled with amazing people! Each and every one of us brings the different experiences we’ve had to the program and that is something truly invaluable. Luckily, I’ve become really close to some members of my cohort and don’t know where I would be without them. Being a full-time student and part-time professional can be hard, but it’s comforting to know that you can turn to so many other people around you who are going or have gone through the same experiences. The cohort is there to offer support for the challenges, and relief from the long workweeks.
Well, readers, that’s all for now! Next time, I promise to go more in depth about my internship and classes!
Ay Ziggy Zoomba!

0 comments:

Post a Comment