Monday, September 30, 2013

Connecting Class to Internship: Orientation




My internship in New Student Orientation & First Year Programs has been nothing short of wonderful. Our office has been very busy! Over the past few months I have been doing a lot to prepare for summer orientation here at BGSU. I was involved in the process of hiring three Orientation Team Leaders and now we are recruiting Orientation Leaders. I enjoyed creating a recruitment plan and executing outreach efforts. We are expecting over 100 students to apply for the 18 positions so I will be hard at work reading applications! I am excited at the prospect of selecting and working with an enthusiastic group of student leaders from the spring semester throughout the entire summer.

In our theory course (CSP 6020: Theory of Student Development), we have been studying a variety of theories that allow us to examine how students learn, develop, and grow during their college years. I have enjoyed learning more about how students develop through each of the various stages and what types of experiences spur this development. Before discussing Schlossberg’s Transition Theory, Dr. Carney Strange said, “We as student affairs professionals are in the transition business.” This really resonated with me. The transition from high school to college really transforms students into the person they will become. Student affairs professionals have a significant impact on these students during their transition. In Schlossberg’s Transition Theory, there are several factors that affect a student’s transition. I have observed a variety of these factors in working with students through my internship. When interviewing candidates for the Orientation Team Leader, we asked the candidates the question, “How have you grown from the Orientation Leader position?” Their answers were very indicative of their growth in different areas of development. I have noticed that my study of theory has allowed me to see students through a multitude of lenses in order to better aid them in their development. When I hear students’ struggles or complaints, the theories we have studied allow me to better understand their situation and support them accordingly.

Tyler Diekhaus, Bob Simmons, Kaila Kowalski and me on our site team visit to Notre Dame
In CSP 6010: Foundations and Functions of College Student Personnel, we had a midterm exam about the history of student affairs and the significance of those individuals, events, and documents that formed the basis of the profession. This course has really captured my interest. I feel much more knowledgeable about how this profession has evolved into what it is today. Learning about the functions of the field and comparing it to my experiences in my internship has been helpful when thinking about what functional area I will pursue. Both of the CSP courses I am taking have validated my interest in the student affairs field.
Overall, I feel that I’m getting a well-rounded experience here at BGSU. The courses provide me with knowledge that I can put to use in my internship. Even though it is my first semester, I can already tell that I will be well prepared for the student affairs world when I graduate!

My supervisor, Jessica Huddleston, and me with Freddie and Freida in our office.

0 comments:

Post a Comment