Friday, October 11, 2013

Life in the Classroom


One of my favorite parts of Interview Days was the round table discussions with the faculty.  In fact, for me, it was the faculty that really sold the CSP program.  I loved that they went by their first names, seemed passionate about the program, and were clearly interesting people that I just wanted to get to know better.  Most importantly, I sensed that CSP was more than just a program; it is a family.   However, by the time August arrived, my excitement had transformed into fear.  I was intimidated to start a Master’s program, to go into such small classrooms, and to present both my work and myself to critique from professors and classmates.  Despite these initial fears, the classroom experience and academics have quickly become two of my most valued experiences within the CSP program.

Call me a geek, but I love the opportunity to breakdown  different theories, articles, and concepts and to not only have the opportunity to express my own thoughts, but to be challenged intellectually by other people in the room.  Coming from an accounting background, I did not often have the chance to voice my own opinion—accounting is a science, and usually, you are either right or you are wrong.  However, student affairs is at the other end of the spectrum.  There is an endless possibility of ways to view a situation and I find that I ardently believe in and want to understand all those perspectives.  This has challenged me to open my mind and to try to consider the value behind a multitude of different opinions.  Although this is not always easy, it has one of the most valuable learning opportunities.

As a result of this, I have quickly come to believe that the most valuable assets in the classroom are your peers. Instead of pulling from just my own experience, I am able to benefit from the experiences, thoughts, and opinions of everyone in the room.   Because of this, creating a safe and judgment-free environment is not just respectful to your peers, it’s imperative for your own intellectual development.  While we might be working towards our own individual grades and improved competency, we succeed (or fail) together.  The true secret to a successful classroom is understanding that we need each other.  Some of my greatest moments of growth have come from having someone push back and challenge me to explain my thoughts.  This can come from classroom discussion, peer editing, or faculty feedback. 

While I will never say that paper-writing is my favorite thing to do in the world or that I love having piles of reading to do when the new episode of my favorite TV show comes on, I absolutely love and appreciate the knowledge I have taken away from my first year of the CSP program.  I no longer fear entering the classroom.  Instead, I actively look forward to the opportunity to sit down and explore the world of student affairs together with my classmates and faculty.  However, it has definitely been a journey.

You get out of the classroom experience what you put into it and it is about so much more than just a grade (although those are important, too).  It’s about doing everything you can do to best prepare yourself and to pack your toolbox full of everything you’ll need to be a successful practitioner.  If that means taking courses outside of the HIED department – do it!  If that means pushing yourself to take the Ph.D. level class you are really interested in even though it scares you- do it! While the classroom environment can be a scary one to enter, the thought of leaving the safety and security of the classroom is something that I now find much more concerning!

The classroom is a place I will always value.  We talk a great deal about helping our students to learn, develop and grow.  However, it is important to remember that we are all still working on this as well and for me, the classroom is where it all starts.  

-Kirsten Lenthe

0 comments:

Post a Comment