Monday, September 30, 2013

Assessment, Coursework, and Chickering




Hello Again!
I’m still Kyle Fassett and I’m still a 1st year in the College Student Personnel master’s program interning as a pre-major advisor!
The month of October was a little crazy in the office of Advising Services, as I have a caseload of 80+ first-year undecided students. With that, these students have mandatory holds on their registration until they meet with me (insert evil laugh here)! I work with the students to teach them how to register and find classes that will help them explore majors while meeting the general education requirements.

Internship aside, what is graduate school without classes…and midterms? October proved to be a busy month not only for work but also for coursework; I spent many hours studying with Jerome, the Jerome Library that is! However, I cannot complain too much about studying, because I frequently took breaks to view the fall foliage from the 8
th floor windows. People weren’t joking when they said Ohio is flat; you can see for miles!Outside of the general day-to-day advising, I’ve been working on an assessment with a senior advisor to learn about students’ perceptions of our services. Additionally, I tried my hands at admissions, working two events for our office (one at BGSU, one where I traveled to Dayton, OH).

Through studying, everything has been coming together, mainly how student development theories correlate to my internship work.  In class we learned students have needs for growth and development, explained through Chickering (this guy) and Reisser’s (photo not found) seven vectors of identity development. This holds true in my office, as first-year students have been seeking guidance, asking for advice, and looking for ears to listen.
Anyways, the month has gone by very fast as we are now into November! I am excited to think that Thanksgiving break is soon!

Roll Along!
Kyle
P.S. I may have failed to mention it previously, but “Roll Along” is one of our school’s sayings!

0 comments:

Post a Comment