Friday, October 11, 2013

#HESANation Summer Adventures




Chris Royer, Education Abroad, BGSU
Summer internship in Counselling Services at the University of Auck- land in Auckland, New Zealand
This summer, I had the pleasure of working as the Counselling Intern at the University of Auckland in Auckland, New Zealand. Counselling Ser- vices at UoA is in the process of transitioning to a health and wellness model, and I was tasked with developing proactive outreach initiatives (including a Peer Education program) rooted in a health and wellness approach to counseling. As part of that process, I worked with a variety of offices across UoA’s campus, visited two other institutions in the North Island of New Zealand, and attended a national conference for counselors in higher education. I also had the chance to experience Maori culture and explore New Zealand, one of the most beautiful coun- tries in the world. Among other things, I went tramping and wine tast- ing in the North Island, took a tour of the set used for Hobbiton in Lord of the Rings, and braved snow, sleet, and hail to see penguins on the South Island. It was the most fantastic personal and professional sum- mer I could have imagined for myself.

Amy Hill, Office of Service Learning, BGSU
Summer internship at the University of Texas San Antonio, National Orientation Directors’ Association (NODA)
I spent this summer as one of three NODA interns at the University of Texas San Antonio (UTSA). UTSA is a very young (est. 1969) and very diverse insti- tution that is striving to become a tier one research university. This setting served as a great place to enhance my ever developing multicultural compe- tency while supervising 27 orientation leaders from various backgrounds. Although the transition was tough at times and the hours were long (16 hr days, 3 days a week), I learned a great deal about UTSA (Go Runners!) and my professional goals (i.e., I'd prefer to work in orientation at a smaller institution). Additionally, it was great to spend the summer in Texas, my home state, being closer to family while getting to play tourist in the Hill Country. If you are considering doing a NODA internship, don't hesitate to ask me any questions! Additionally, stay tuned for a upcoming ProDevo session on how to become a summer superstar!

Justin Beauchamp, Campus Activities—Major Events, BGSU
Summer internship at San Jose State University, National Orientation Directors’ Association (NODA)
The summer of 2013 was beyond words for me. I kicked it off with my first ever trip abroad for the UK Study Tour, where I got the amazing opportunity to visit colleges and universities in cities such as London, Oxford, York, and Edinburgh, among others. Upon my return to the United States, I flew out to California to begin my NODA (National Orientation Directors’ Association) internship at San Jose State University. As a NODA intern, I was able to work with an incredibly diverse student staff for 10 weeks with their orientation program, giving me the opportunity to explore a brand new type of institution with such a wide array of student backgrounds and identities. I was also able to travel up and down the coast, driving the Pacific Coast Highway (stunning views!), going to Yosemite National Park (also, stunning views!!), visiting Los Angeles, Santa Cruz, and Monterey Bay, and attending Pride in San Francisco, among many other things. It is definitely a summer that I will never forget!

Tara Milliken, Career Center—Business, BGSU
Summer internship with New Student Orientation and First Year Programs at Bowling Green State University
After completing a practicum with New Student Orientation and First Year Programs during the spring semester, I then became a full-time summer intern as the Graduate Coordinator for Orientation Programming and Assessment. This was a great opportunity to assist new students and families in the transition process, while also gaining a significant amount of assessment and evaluation experience! I also served as chair for the Fall Welcome planning committee, which brought together various stakeholders to coordinate the two -week program and allowed me to partner closely with Marketing & Communications staff. The ability to take ownership in the event-planning process, the varied conversations held with new students and family members during SOAR, and especially the chance to so work closely with the Orientation Lead- ers all made for a memorable experience. In addition to developing my own professional portfolio, the opportunity to work in such a positive office environment that included amazing students and colleagues helped to create a truly wonderful summer in Bowling Green. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment