Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Tips for I-Days Candidates

We asked our current students to share with the CSP candidates why they chose to attend BGSU and what they wish they knew before they headed into I-Days. Here is what they said! 

WHY BGSU?

"I choose BGSU because it was a good fit. I was torn between two programs, but I felt that BGSU would challenge and support me as a young professional. I can honestly say that the faculty and 2014 Cohort has done that!"
-Joelle Fundaro, 2nd Year, Career Center - BGSU

"The people, the people, the people. I was a nervous wreck when I came to BGSU for I-Days because I experienced poor interactions with candidates, faculty, and staff at other institutions I interviewed at. The second I arrived on campus at BGSU, the students and faculty welcomed me with open arms. The relationships and environment instantly created between candidates put me at ease, and I knew BGSU was the right fit for me."
-Kelsey Gabbard, 1st Year, Recreation and Wellness- BGSU

"Since I have been in Florida all of my life, I wanted a new experience in a different region of the country. I knew this program would challenge me in many ways, ultimately shaping me into the best professional that I can be. I was also offered my first choice in internships so it has honestly been a dream come true to be given this opportunity!"
-Albert Perera, 1st Year, New Student Orientation & First Year Programs - BGSU

"The faculty! Even at I-days, I could tell the faculty in CSP are just AWESOME. Not only are the ridiculously smart, but they are great mentors and they are fun! Some of my favorite memories come from Beer Tasting with Mike, traveling with Christy, and going to Chicago with Carney."
-Chelsea Green, 2nd Year, Health and Human Services Advising - BGSU

"The internship opportunities were appealing to me as well as the curriculum. Once I met the faculty members, I was sold!"
-Kate Branstetter, 2nd Year, New Student Orientation & First Year Programs - BGSU

INTERVIEW TIPS

"To be myself, this is not a competition and you have to trust the process. Let your personality SHINE in your interviews. Let the interviewers talk to the real you, cause that is the best way to find your fit. I was totally my goofy, crazy self in interviews and because of that I landed my internship!"
-Joni Wiley, 2nd Year, Office of Student Involvement - Ohio Northern University

"Feel free to dress casually during the social activities and really be yourself during those times. It's a great time to get to know your potential classmates and future colleagues!"
-Erika Orman, 1st Year, Education and Human Development Advising - BGSU

"If you're an introvert, I-days will be exhausting. It's alright to retreat and find places to recharge throughout the process. Write in your journal, call a friend from home, or meditate. But don't be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone with people either."
-Jacintha Ratnasamy, 1st Year, Honors College - BGSU

"It's okay to stress out a little bit, but if you don't make it the first time, that doesn't mean you weren't qualified to do the job or be part of the program. It just means it wasn't meant to be!"
-CJ Klein, 2nd Year, Office of Multicultural Affairs - BGSU

"Relax, and trust the process!"
-Kyle Fasset, 2nd Year, Pre-Major and Academic Planning - BGSU

"I wish I had known how kind and helpful all of the supervisors, faculty members, and HESA students would be. I was so nervous, and there was really no need to be!"
-Julie Palmer, 1st Year, Alumni and Development - BGSU

GENERAL TIPS FOR GRAD SCHOOL AND LIFE AT BGSU 

"I would advise taking risks and stepping outside of one's comfort zone while considering internships and practicum opportunities. I also advise getting out of Bowling Green from time to time and exploring the state, if you are not from the area. As an individual from the Northwest, I have enjoyed getting to know some of the local cities and attractions, and would love to continue to do so in the next year. Take advantage of in-class opportunities to explore other local colleges as well."
-Danielle Gross, 1st Year, Residence Life - Tiffin University

"Bowling Green = Blowing Green! Pack some warm clothes, earmuffs, and a scarf!"
-Kyle Fasset, 2nd Year, Pre-Major and Academic Planning - BGSU

"Invest in the experience and you will leave as a well rounded person, professional, and friend. Engage in challenging questions! Reflect on who you are and what you want to become."
-Joelle Fundaro, 2nd Year, Career Center - BGSU

"Everyone here has been through what your going through so don't be afraid to ask questions!"
-Ashley Brown, 1st Year, Student Conduct - BGSU

"It's a small town around here - but it's really got quite a lot going on both in the town and the surrounding areas. Ann Arbor is a awesome little city and it's only an hour away! Toledo's farmer market is legit and incredibly affordable so hit that up whenever you can."
-Megan Bolger, 1st Year, Residence Life - BGSU

"Graduate school is hard, but being at BGSU is one of the best experiences in the world. You will be challenged of course, but you will be surrounded by the most incredibly supportive supervisors, faculty members, and friends you could ask for. You will make some of the most incredible friends of your life."
-Chelsea Green, 2nd Year, Health and Human Services Advising - BGSU

0 comments:

Post a Comment